DATE: 10 October 2021, SUNDAY
11:00 AM – 5:00 PM, IST
Oral habits, if it persists beyond certain developmental age, can pose great harm to the developing teeth, occlusion and surrounding oral tissues. In the formative years, almost all children engage in some non-nutritive sucking habits. Clinicians, by proper differential diagnosis and thorough understanding of natural growth and developmental processes, should make a decision for intervening.
Session 1 – Introduction to Habits, Mouth Breathing Habits
- Introduction to oral habits and its adverse effect on developing dentition and face
- Effect of mouth breathing on our body
- Extra and intraoral features
- Habitual /obstructive/Anatomical mouth breather and its management protocol
- Role of palatal architecture and its importance in treating mouth breathers
- Upper and lower airway analysis
- When and what type of expansion to increase the upper airway volume
- Diagnosis of mouth breathing: various chair-side test to confirm the type of mouth breathing
- Final diagnosis and treatment planning: step by step treatment planning for mouth breathing habit
- Appliance therapy for Mouth breathing
- Oral gymnastics for mouth breathing
- All candidates will be given an elaborate case sheet exclusively for mouth breathing to plan a detailed interceptive and myo-function treatment planning and convincing patients and motivating patients to do the treatment plan.
- Upper and lower airway analysis
- Model analysis for need of expansion
- Oral gymnastic exercises for mouth breathing: all types of exercise to convert an oral breather to a nasal breather, lip exercises to improve the tonicity, posture correction, promoting diaphragmatic breathing: ALL VIA VIDEO DEMONSTRATION(10 to 12 exercise).
- DIY Control pause exercise for checking the improvement in the follow-up visits
- Exclusive patient DIY Charts to motivate the patients to perform the exercises
Session 2 – Thumb Sucking Habit
This session will cover in detail Thumb sucking and its real cause.
- Highlight on the cause of the habit from the developmental stages of the kid, i.e. from 6 months onwards,
- Highlights on reflexes, the psychosexual analysis of Sigmund Freud.
- Concept of “Talking the thumb out”
- Understanding the relevance of Talking to the patient to find out the exact frequency, duration and intensity of thumb sucking and then decide the treatment planning
- Treatment planning, with key emphasis on presentation therapies and other alternative therapies including the conventional tongue crib in this one-day module
Session 3 -Tongue thrusting habits
- Role of tongue in facial development
- The complex organ and its role in treatment planning
- Types of tongue thrusting: normal versus infantile swallowing
- Various reasons for tongue thrusting
- Screening of tongue for its form/function and posture
- Role of lingual frenum and its classification
- Soft palate and its architecture and its role in tongue dysfunction
- Clinical test to determine the type of tongue thrusting
- Tongue and airway
- Tongue and crossbite
- Tongue and sleep disorder
- Tongue and snoring
- Appliance therapy
- Tongue screening Form: all candidates will be given a pdf of tongue screening from with pictures/charts etc
- Tongue exercises: video demos of various tongue exercises
- Laser frenectomy of lingual frenum.
All participating candidates are eligible for a certificate of participation.